Right amid hustles of WWDC 12 – Apple – iOS 6 – Mac Pro, Microsoft must have felt left out!! This did not deter the Giant to storm the market with yet another surprise. In a mystery last minute press event organised at Los Angeles today, Microsoft confirmed its plans to add another legacy – selling its own multi-purpose Tablets with Windows 8 RT under the brand “SURFACE”.
On the event Steve Ballmer quoted how Microsoft has revolutionized and changed lives over years. Speaking of which he added that “Windows is the heart and soul of Microsoft.” Windows powers over 1 billion PCs, from home desktops to NASA”. ”With Windows 8 we have reimagined the product.” That’s for sure! and we are adding another piece to the Windows 8 story”
With these words the intentions of fabricating an iPad killer was as simply clear to audience present at the event. Doubts are expressed as whether Surface will ever be successful at surfacing the Tablet market or will it fade off similar to that of Zune. We still can argue that Zune was trying to infiltrate into the already blooming PMP market with no extra features, but Surface scores in this aspect with striking features as listed below.
Features as confirmed by Microsoft:
- Thickness of 9.5mm
- Its surface is built around an angled, all-magnesium VaporMg case
- It weighs just under 1.3 pounds
- NVIDIA-made ARM chip powering the whole set-up
- Built in stand
- Twin 2×2 MIMO antennas for WiFi
- A 10.6-inch optically-bonded, Gorilla Glass 2-covered, full HD display
- TouchCover is 3mm thin – Multitouch Trackpad & Keyboard
- HDMI, microSD and USB 2.0
- It has 96 dots per inch native resolution screen screen, ClearTypeHD
- It also has something called “palmblock” so that when you use digital ink, and move a pen close to the screen, it ignores touch input.
Surface for Windows RT will have “comparable” pricing to other 32 and 64 GB ARM tablets. Windows 8 Pro will come in 64 and 128 GB products and also have “comparable” pricing. No firm ship date, but the Pro Surface version will ship 3 months after RT.
So stay tuned to GadgeticWorld.com for exciting updates on Surface!!!