If you have a number of devices (read smartphones, tablets etc.), you might be confused by the variety of apps available on each device. Even finding the correct app would become an uphill task as there are thousands of similar apps available in the App Store/ App World/Google Play/Marketplace etc. To help you do the same thing on different devices, we will now give you a list of the ten best apps which are available on several platforms.
1. Evernote- This is a really handy app in which you can add your notes any time. All your notes are synced with your profile so that you can access them from anywhere and using any device (mostly), provided you have internet access. It is free and provides 60 MB of free storage on the cloud. It also has plugins/extensions for several browsers so that you can clip web-pages too. Available on Android, iOS, Blackberry, Mac OS X, Windows.
2. Dropbox- Similar to Evernote, this is also a cloud service. You can store your files totalled up to 2 GB on their servers for free. You can also add more storage (up to 16 GB) by referring your friends through their referral program. Available for Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, iOS, Android, Blackberry.
3. Google Voice- Google Voice is a great alternative phone service by Google. You can redirect all your calls to any phone and also read the voice message like messages. If you are in the States then you are free to call anyone (within the country) for free (data rates may still apply)! It is a great service available on several platforms and even allows PC-to-PC and PC-to-phone calls internationally. Available for Android, iOS, Windows, Mac OS X, Blackberry.
4. Pageonce- This app won’t give you a (real) personal assistant per se, but it will manage and track your credit card transactions, bills, itineraries, bank accounts, frequent-flyer miles etc. It is a premium app and costs $7. Available for Android, BlackBerry,iOS, Windows Phone 7.
5. Angry Birds- This immensely popular game needs no introduction. You should download a version anyway and start playing. There are both free and paid versions available. Available for Android, iOS, Blackberry, Symbian, Windows Phone 7, Windows.
6. Shazam- If you have a big music database and don’t know which song you are listening to, you can always ask Shazam. It will show you the song, artist’s info and even the lyrics of the song. You can read album reviews, artist info etc. in the app too. Available on Android, BlackBerry, iOS, Symbian, Windows Phone 7.
7. Kindle- Whether it be a tablet, a smartphone, a laptop or a Kindle itself, you can read books anywhere you want. Get this free app to read books anywhere you go, and also buy books from Amazon too. Available on Android, BlackBerry, iOS, Windows Phone 7, Windows, Mac OS X.
8. Foursquare- Connect with friends wherever you go with this great service which lets you “check in” at places such as restaurants, hotels, stores etc. with this free app. It connects with facebook too. It is a universal app and is very handy if you want to meet your acquaintances somewhere (or hide from them!). Available on Android, BlackBerry, iOS, Symbian, Windows Phone 7, WebOS, Meego.
9. Spotify- It is a great service that streams songs to your smarpthone/laptop from their library which boasts of over 80 years of non-stop music and about 10,000 tracks are being added every day. You can also create a playlist that is synced to your device so that you can listen to them offline too. It is a premium service and you can try it for free for a month at first. Available on Android, BlackBerry, iOS, Symbian, Windows Phone 7, WebOS, Meego.
10. Instagram- Whether you love photography or not (who doesn’t!), this is a great app for clicking, editing and sharing pictures on the web instantly. Most importantly, it is free. It has a lot of features that will help you edit your shot and uploading it on the web within seconds. While it was available only on iOS, it is now available on Android too and can be downloaded from Google Play.